Friday, May 21, 2010

Thank You John Shepherd-Barron, Inventor of the ATM


John Shepherd-Barron, inventor of the ATM, was an Indian-born inventor of Scottish parents, that spent most of his life in the UK. He recently passed away at the age of 84. The concept came to him in 1965 while in a bath, after showing up one minute late for a money withdraw from his bank.

"That night I started thinking that there must be a better way to get cash when I wanted it. I thought of the chocolate vending machine, when money was put in a slot and a bar dispatched. Surely money could be dispensed in the same way."

"By chance, in 1965, I bumped into the chief in general at Barclays Bank who was about to have lunch. 'Give me 90 seconds' I said over a pink gin." Barclays Bank installed the first ATM in London in 1967.

Thank you Mr. Shepherd-Barron for making those of us who travel have an easier experience, and also for showing that long baths, chocolate and gin are truly sources of inspiration.

Image from Dogs trained to retrieve money from ATMs article on www.ubergizmo.com.

1 comment:

David L. said...

Love the image of a cash vending machine!